Malaria Drug Reference Material Programme
WWARN provides validated antimalarial drug reference materials to minimise bias arising from poor quality standards and improve inter-laboratory data comparability.
Reference standards are an integral component of any assay procedure. They ensure reliable, reproducible results that can be compared over time or location to identify trends that can signal falling antimalarial drug efficacy or poor laboratory performance.
Reference standards for key antimalarials and their metabolites as well as recommended internal standards that WWARN provides to laboratories, are stored under optimal conditions of humidity and temperature. Stability data are monitored continually to maximise usage of the reference material.
- Any laboratory conducting malaria drug efficacy testing may apply to receive malaria drug reference standards, metabolites and internal standards
- Every laboratory participating in the WWARN Proficiency Testing schemes or the In Vitro pilot scheme can receive reference materials on request
- Laboratories are required to sign a Material Transfer Agreement prior to receiving reference materials
- WWARN will provide up to 20mg yearly of up to 36 malaria drugs in pre-weighed aliquots of 0.4-2.0mg
- Materials are currently provided free of charge; participating laboratories pay shipping costs
- WWARN reserves the right to introduce charging for reference materials in the future to maintain the financial viability of the service. Participants will be notified of any intended change to charging in advance.
Labs participating in drug reference scheme
For more information or to enrol
Table of reference materials and internal standards
|Antimalarial reference standards:||Internal standards:|